Tuesday 10 September 2013

Hello? Is anyone out there? Interaction is key to online teaching - Lori Rietze


First, I applaud the point offered by this site http://www.bestcollegesonline.com/blog/2012/10/02/22-secrets-from-the-most-successful-online-educators/ (Thank you to Dawn MacDonald!):What students can teach each other is just as important as what the professor teaches. I wholeheartedly agree and in this course, I am most interested in how to use technology to support active learning among and between the students.

Based on that learning objective, I will add to the conversation about this week's discussion questions.

My teaching Philosophy:
My beliefs are deeply rooted in constructivism. Defined by Dunn (2005), constructivism is an orientation where “individuals create or construct their own understanding/knowledge through the interaction of what they already know and through the ideas, events, and activities/experiences that they encounter” (p. 230). More specifically, social constructivism resonates with my philosophical views of the learning process as seen by Lens Vygotsky. In Vygotsky’s view, learning is a result of the interaction between the learner and the social environment, by way of reflection and meaningful discussions (Dunn, 2005; Pratt & Paterson, 2007; Vygotsky, 1978; Young & Maxwell, 2007). Like Vygotsky, I too believe that learning is enhanced when the material is meaningful to the students (Beatty, Leigh, & Dean, 2009; Vygotsky, 1978) and when social interaction is integrated into class activities.
 Some scholars argue that social interaction functions to increase the student’s awareness to social phenomena and new ideas. Kersten (2002), Schutz (1932) and Van Maanen (1983) suggest that people do not have the ability to see and understand the complexity of a scenario without pre-knowledge or a stock of knowledge that provides an awareness to the presence of social phenomena. Without a stock of knowledge in a particular area, the student requires another individual to help them notice things in which they lack experience. I believe that students have a stock of knowledge upon which educators can build, but I also hold that the role of the educator (and that of their peers) is to expand the student’s thinking, to notice the unnoticed.
Deciding and describing the ‘mix’ of face-to-face and online learning will be best for my course:
For my course, it is institutionally mandated that the delivery format will be a hybrid of face-to-face and online; the first week will be face-to-face and the subsequent weeks are online. I think my role will be to build their stock of knowledge and then by way of peer interaction, reflection and meaningful discussions, students will 'play' with the content and enhance their knowledge. As adult learners, I will be clear on my expectations related to postings and student contribution. I am interested to learn more about how I can embrace technology to stimulate discussion, critical thinking and peer learning.  I think that it may also be useful to contact some nurse leaders in the hospital setting and gain their perspective of the course content (these would be stakeholders). Perhaps I might do this by entering their comment into a twitter? How would I do that? Is this advantageous over a blog post? Perhaps I could ask students to download twitter on their handheld device and the message would be more immediate?

Hmm, it is tricky (but exciting) to intersect accessibility and course content. :)

3 comments:

  1. Found lots of similarities between you and me when reading your post, Lori. I also have a constructivist teaching philosophy and my courses are run in blended learning mode - the only difference being that I usually see my students once a month F2F, and in between online. An interesting fact is that I feel closer to my blended learning students than to those I teach purely in F2F classes. This is probably because they're kind of there all the time (via our VLE). I use forums a lot where students post their views on various issues in writing but also where they post a link to voice recordings of themselves speaking. Since I teach English, speaking is something they would otherwise miss out on in online phases. And audio adds variety. I get my students to use Vocaroo or Audioboo or their mobile phones. Maybe you could do something with audio too? Will be posting on my blog today, so have a look www.tomooc.edublogs.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that entering the stakeholder comments into Twitter is the best delivery method since you are limited to 140 characters in Twitter. I suppose that you could attach a link to your Tweet but as a slooooowwww Blackberry user, I would expire before the link would appear... in microscopic text.

    Since the vast majority of your course is offered online, perhaps you can put the stakeholder comments right into your online course? Just a thought. Precisely where in your online course would depend on what tools you and the students use the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m impressed, I must say. you hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

    ReplyDelete